If you do not have access to a group scheme or public water supply there is a “Well Grant Scheme” available to householders with private wells who need to remedy serious deficiencies in the existing water supply. This scheme is designed to bring your water up to EU standards by providing a new piped supply of water for domestic purposes. These improvements are covered under the water grant scheme (Republic of Ireland only). They consist of one or more of the following:
- Drilling or commissioning a new well
- Rehabilitating an existing well, including deepening or relining an existing bore or the removal of silt
- Providing or upgrading a supply of water from a surface water source
- Constructing or improving a pump house, piping or other facilities in connection with the supply of water
- Provision or improvement of mechanical or electrical equipment or facilities in connection with the supply of water
- Provision or improvement of facilities or equipment for the treatment of water
How to Qualify for a Local Authority Water Treatment Grant
To be eligible for a well water grant you must meet the following criteria:
- House is over 7 years old
- You have not received a grant within the last 7 years
- You’re not connected to a public water supply
Please note the scheme does not apply to houses to which a public or group scheme water supply has already been provided or can reasonably be provided.
The maximum grant available is approx. €2,050 or 75% of overall cost of improvements. This figure varies between the local authority or county council. Householders must fill in the local WG1 form available from the county council and use a contractor who is registered for VAT and holds a current tax clearance certificate. Additional documents such as a site map, one or more detailed quotations and directions to the dwelling must accompany a well grant application form.
A detailed water test needs to be taken before and after any work is completed to ensure the proper water treatment system is installed. A prior inspection of the work needs to be carried out as well as the issuing of a certificate of approval before any work can commence.
Perfect Water Systems, can carry out detailed water tests and provide assistance in filling out the well grant application forms, go through each step to ensure the householder understands the process.
Contact Perfect Water Systems today and see if you are eligible for a well grant to bring your water supply up to EU standard (applies to the Republic of Ireland only). Submit the form below and we will be in touch.